Friday, May 04, 2007

Fabulous Friday. Funeral Home Friday.

It's one of those days -- warm, sunny, breezy and funeral home visitation time. It's a sort of a silver-lining-in-the-black-cloud kind of days.

My wife and I will be making a call to the funeral home late this afternoon to pay our respects to my aunt's father. Now, you may be thinking: 'Aunt's father', hmm....what relation would that be? We'll you have to understand that since my mother passed away (very unexpectedly, twelve years ago) my aunt and uncle (Mom's brother) have been like my second parents. And like grandparents to my boys. So...that's how it goes.

He was 92 and was very active for a 92 year old. Still driving a car. Still mowing the grass at his house and the lake cottage. Still LIVING. And now he's moved on to another place. Bless his heart. And my aunt. She's taking it very hard. She was very, very close to her dad. It's a tough time for her. My prayers are with her as she grieves the loss of her father.

So...perhaps it's time we all pick up the phone and call our folks. And tell them how much we love them. Life is precious, people. Let's not take it for granted.

God Bless all of you. Have a great weekend.

--mike




Update: The funeral service was really nice. All the children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren were there. At the conclusion of the grave-side service, the kids all took helium-filled balloons and set them free. How cool.



3 comments:

Katie Jean said...

Sorry to hear about your loss. Your family will be in my prayers. I hope you have a good weekend celebrating his life.

Mike said...

Thanks Katie Jean.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry--what a lovely tribute to a vibrant man! Thank you for the reminder; I shall endeavor to take it heart! :D